Our students are deeply involved in organizing the events and activities of the FRC – intellectual, cultural, and social.
The Franklin Residential College was founded at the University of Georgia in 2000 in Rutherford Hall located on the Myers Quad. The FRC was modeled after the residential colleges found at Oxford, Cambridge and other common Ivy League institutions. The residential college was created as a partnership among the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, the Vice President for Instruction and University Housing.
From 2004-2010 J. Douglas Toma, an associate professor at the Institute of Higher Education, served as the Dean of the Franklin Residential College. Toma lived in Rutherford Hall with his wife, Linda Bachman, and their son Jack. In fall of 2010, the Tomas moved out of Rutherford Hall, and a graduate student, Leasa Weimer, became the new Dean in Residence. Toma and Weimer worked together to plan events for the FRC and ensure that the organization was running properly.
In the fall of 2011, Eugene Wright, a scientific illustration professor, became the FRC's new Senior Dean, and Kameron Sheats became the Residence Dean. Together, Gene and Kameron worked to plan a budget, organize special programs and create events for the FRC.
In the spring of 2012, Kameron and her family moved out of Rutherford Hall, as the reconstruction phase began, and in the fall of 2012, Rebecca Simpson-Litke moved into Building 1516 to become the FRC's Residence Dean. For the 2012-2013 academic year, the FRC was located in Building 1516 as Rutherford Hall underwent renovations. In the fall of 2013, Rutherford Hall once again became home for the FRC. Rebecca, her husband, her son, and her bird currently live in the Dean's Apartment where she often welcomes students into her home for events and community.